Burger with “Vanilia Feneou” beans
Ingredients (for 4 BURGERS)
1) 400 g. cooked beans 2) 1 egg 3) 100 g. Parmesan 4)1 clove of garlic 5) 5 large fresh basil leaves 6) 1/3 cup breadcrumbs 7) olive oil 8) 6-8 cherry tomatoes 9) 4 leaves of fresh basil 10) 10 olives 11) 1 small onion 12) 2 tsp. olive oil 13) 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar 14) Salt and Pepper 15) 4 burger buns 16) 4 lettuce leaves
Chop cherry tomatoes, olives, onion and basil and add olive oil and balsamico vinegar. Season with salt and keep aside.
Place in the food processor 300 grams. of cooked beans, the egg, the parmesan, the garlic, 1/3 cup breadcrumbs and fresh basil and pulse until you have a homogeneous mixture.
In a bowl, coarsly mash with a fork the remaining 100 g. beans and add the mixture from the food processor. Mix until you have a fairly stiff dough. Pour the rest of the breadcrumbs in a plate . Wet your hands with some olive oil and form 4 large patties. Coat with breadcrumbs and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Heat your skillet on high heat until hot. Pour 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, lower the heat and fry the patties, turning them from both sides for about 5-6 minutes, until golden brown on the surface.
Slightly heat the buns and cut them in half. Place on the bottom bun a lettuce leaf, then the patties with beans and finally the sauce with fresh cherry tomatoes. Cover with the top of the bun and Enjoy!
Note: This recipe was provided by our dear friend Angelikh Kalaboka.
Butter beans (Gigantes) with sausages
Ingredients: (4 portions)
1) 300 gr. Gigantes 2) 240 gr. local sausage 3) 1 large onion, chopped 4) 400 gr. can chopped tomatoes 5) 2 tablespoons tomato paste 6) Salt 7) Pepper 8) Olive oil 9) 2 teaspoons paprika 10) 2 tablespoons dill 11) 1 cube of vegetable stock (optional) 12) Juice of one orange
The night before, soak the beans in water. Cover the beans in a pan with water and let them boil until soft, not melted.
In a saucepan prepare the sauce. Sauté the chopped onion in the oil until golden brown and add the salt, pepper and paprika and mix. After, add the canned chopped tomatoes, the tomato paste and the cube of vegetable stock and let the mixture simmer.
When the beans are ready, strain them and put them in an oven dish. Keep one glass of their water.
Slice the sausages and add them to the oven dish. Add the orange juice, the glass of water, the dill and the suace and mix.
Put the food in the oven and cook for 1hour and 15 minutes. Add water if needed.
The food it is ready when the beans are soft and the sauce has thickened.
Enjoy your meal!
Fava with lemon and onion
1) 500 gr. fava 2) 3 onions, chopped 3) 2 garlic cloves, crushed 4) 3 cups hot water 5) The juice of 1-2 lemons 6) 1/2 cup olive oil 7) Salt and pepper
Boil the fava in water. Be careful for the water not to spill,
and from time to time skim the surface to keep the water clean. When it is ready, strain.
In a saucepan, put some of the oil, the garlic and the onion.
Stir for a few minutes until the chopped onion takes some color.
In a blender, put half of the fava, the half of oil, the juice of one lemon and whisk until the mixture to homogenized.
Then add the onions, the garlic and the remaining oil.
Whisk and taste; maybe it needs more lemon juice.
Your fava with lemon is ready!
Suggestion: If you like, you can add (at the end) parsley, some more chopped onion or capers. You can also add thyme.
Note: In the above image, you can see the Maltby & Greek team cooking our products in an exhibition in London!
SALAD WITH "VANILIA FENEOU" BEANS
1) 500gr. "Vanilia Feneou" Beans 2) 1 green pepper 3) 1 red pepper 4) 2 carrots 5) 4 spring onions 6) 1/2 bunch dill 7) 1/2 bunch parsley 8) 1 cup olive oil 9) 1 lemon 10) salt
Boil the beans for about 60 minutes (add the salt in the last 5 minutes). Strain the beans and put them in a salad bowl.
Dice the peppers, carrots and spring onions in small pieces. Chop the dill and parsley thinly. Put these ingredients into the salad bowl, add the oil and lemon and stir.
Enjoy one excellent, special and tasty salad!
BLACK-EYED PEAS WITH SPINACH
Ingredients FOR 4 PERSONS
1) 300 gr. black-eyed peas 2) 1/2 cup of olive oil 3) 1 large dry onion, well chopped 4) 1 glass dry white wine 5) 1-2 tablespoons tomato puree, diluted in some water 6) 500gr. spinach, the tender leaves 7) salt and freshly grated pepper
1. Put the black-eyed peas in salty water and boil them until tender, but not too soft. Strain them through cold water.
2. In a deep pan, warm the oil and as soon as it is hot add the chopped onion. The onion is ready when it is glazed. Add the black-eyed peas, stir a few times and quench with the wine.
3. When the alcohol has evaporated, within 5-6 minutes, add the tomato puree, the spinach and the salt and pepper. Boil at a low temperature for 20 minutes until the liquids are absorbed, the spinach soft and the sauce has thickened.
4. Serve with feta cheese, preferably peppery feta. Eat warm or cold.
Tip: A little chopped dill and/or parsley on top of the dish will give it a beautiful flavor.
1) 300 gr. lentils 2) 2 medium dried onions finely chopped 3) 3 cloves of garlic chopped 4) 2 ripe tomatoes 5) 1 tablespoon tomato pancake 6) 3/4 cups Tea olive oil 7) 2 bay leaves 8) 2 tablespoons of vinegar 9) 1/4 t. sweet sugar 10) 1/2 tbl. Sweet oregano 11) salt - freshly ground pepper
1. Clean the tomatoes and put them into the blender.
2. Boil the lentils in water to cover them for 5 minutes, strain them, rinse them in a colander and throw the water.
3. Put in a saucepan, medium heat, onions, garlic, oil and sauté until they become transparent. Add the lentils and continue the salad, for 3 more minutes. Put the peel, tomato juice, bay leaves, sugar, oregano, salt, pepper and cold water, two to three fingers over the lentils.
4. Cover and simmer until the lentils squeeze and absorb all of their liquids, stirring at intervals to keep them from sticking. (If more water is needed, add). Finally, add the vinegar.
Servings for 4 people. Accompany them with olives and slice.